Shoulder Dislocation Treatment
Call 911 if:
- The injury was caused by a severe blow.
- The person's pulse is weak.
1. Go to a Hospital Emergency Room
2. Immobilize Shoulder
- Do not force arm to move.
- Place pillow or rolled blanket between upper arm and chest.
- If possible, put affected forearm in a sling, with elbow at 90°angle.
- Wrap towel around the person's upper body to bind arm to it.
3. Control Swelling
- Apply ice pack for 20 minutes 4 to 8 times a day.
4. Follow Up
- The doctor may manipulate the shoulder to put it back in place.
- The doctor may recommend wearing a sling for several weeks.
- Give medication such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) for pain and swelling.
- If shoulder continues to dislocate, surgery may be required.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.