Ruptured Tendon Treatment
1. Reduce Swelling and Prevent Injury
Use RICE method:
- Rest the injured area and keep weight off it.
- Compress injury by gentlywrapping with an elastic bandage.
- Elevate injured area above the person's heart level, if possible.
2. Relieve Pain
- Give an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
3. See a Doctor
- The person should see an orthopedic specialist as soon as possible.
4. Follow Up
- The doctor will examine the injured area and may do an X-ray, MRI, or other tests.
- The person may be given a sling, cast, crutches, or other device.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.