1. Get Away From the Source
- If you are outdoors, move away from the area where ricin was released.
- If ricin was released indoors, get out of the building.
2. Call 911
3. Remove Contaminated Clothing
- Do not remove clothing over person's head. Cut or tear it off.
- Place contaminated clothing and anything that touches it into a plastic bag.
- Seal the bag, put the bag into another plastic bag, and seal that bag.
4. Wash Entire Body With Soap and Water
5. Follow Up
- At the hospital, the person may receive intravenous fluids, medications to control seizures, and stomach flushing if ricin was ingested.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.