Migraine Headache Treatment
1. Treat Symptoms
- Have the person rest in a cool, dark room.
- Apply a cool compress or ice pack to the painful area.
- Give acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) for pain.
2. When to Seek Medical Help
- See a health care provider if the headache persists or recurs.
- See a health care provider immediately or go to a hospital emergency room for a headache with stiff neck, vomiting, or numbness or weakness in limbs or if the person has trouble speaking.
3. Follow Up
If you seek medical help:
- The health care provider will do an exam and may recommend treatment or lifestyle changes to prevent migraines.