Orchitis (Swollen Testicles)Treatment
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- See a doctor or go to a hospital emergency room.
- Sudden, severe pain can also be a sign of testicular torsion, a medical emergency.
2. Follow Up
- The doctor will do a physical exam and may do tests such as a urinalysis and ultrasound.
- If there is a bacterial infection, antibiotics will be prescribed.
- To relieve pain and swelling, apply hot or cold packs or take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).
- Elevating the scrotum in snug briefs or an athletic supporter may ease discomfort.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.