1. Try Home Remedies
- Drink a glass of water quickly.
- Put a teaspoon of sugar on the tongue and let it slowly dissolve. For a young child, use corn syrup.
2. When to See a Health Care Provider
- See a health care provider if the hiccups last more than 3 hours and are severe enough to interfere with eating, breathing, or sleeping.
- See a doctor quickly if severe stomach pain, fever, shortness of breath, vomiting, throat tightness, weight loss, or coughing up blood accompany hiccups.
A health care provider may try medication to control more severe, chronic hiccups.