Drug Overdose Treatment
Call 911 if the person has:
- Stopped breathing
1. Begin CPR, if Necessary
If the person is not breathing or breathing is dangerously weak:
2. Contact Poison Control
- Call Poison Control at 800-222-1222 (in U.S.) even if the person has no symptoms.
- Poison Control experts will advise you how to proceed.
- Do not try to make the person vomit or give the person anything to eat or drink.
3. Collect Drug or Pills
- Give drug or pills the person may have taken to the emergency team, or take them to the emergency room or doctor's office.
4. Follow Up
- At the hospital, the person's stomach may be pumped.
- Activated charcoal may be given by mouth to absorb the drug.
- A psychiatric evaluation will be ordered if the overdose was intentional.