Chemical Eye Burn Treatment
1. Flush the Eye
- Have the person put the eye or eyes under a faucet, shower, or clean container of water.
- Flush with lukewarm water for 15 to 30 minutes. The person should keep the eye open as wide as possible.
- Flush the eye to remove contact lenses. Do not try to remove them with hands.
- Do not place a bandage over the eye.
2. Get Help Immediately
- Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222or the emergency number on the container if you have it.
- Poison control will advise at-home treatment and may recommend seeing a health care provider.
3. Follow Up
- If you seek medical care, the health care provider will continue flushing the eye with saline solution, checking periodically until pH is normal.
- The health care provider may place anesthetic drugs in the eye to decrease discomfort with flushing.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.