Broken Toe Treatment
Symptoms of a broken toe include: pain, swelling, bruising, and difficulty walking.
1. Prevent Swelling and Further Injury
- Stay off the foot as much as possible.
- Avoid movement or pressure that causes pain.
- Apply ice up to 20 minutes at a time. Wrap it in a towel; do not apply directly to skin.
- Keep the foot elevated as often as possible, especially the first 2 days after injury, to help control pain and swelling.
- For pain, take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).
2. Get Help
- If you have severe pain, can’t walk, the toe looks bent or deformed, or the pain lasts for a long time, see a doctor.
3. Follow Up
- Stay off your foot and avoid activity that causes pain for 3-4 weeks.
- Wear a solid shoe with a stiff sole to protect the injured toe and keep it stable. Avoid shoes that put pressure on the toe.