Broken Jaw Treatment
Call 911 if the person has:
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Difficulty breathing
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- See a dentist or go to a hospital emergency room.
2. Prevent Choking
- Allow any blood in the mouth to dribble out or have the person spit it into a handkerchief.
- Without touching the roots, gently remove any broken or lost teeth from the mouth and place them in cold milk or salt water. Take the broken teeth in their solution to the health care provider or emergency room with you.
3. Immobilize Jaw
- Tie a handkerchief, scarf, or necktie around the jaw and over the top of the head.
4. Control Swelling
5. Follow Up
Medical treatment depends on the location and severity of the break.
- A surgeon may be able to set the bone without surgery and wire the jaw to stabilize it.
- Surgery may be needed to repair the break. The surgeon will place plates or screws to hold the broken pieces of bone together while they heal.