Ankle Fracture Treatment
1. Leave Protruding Bone Alone
- If a bone has broken through the skin, don't push it back into place. Cover the area with a clean bandage.
2. Stop Bleeding
- Apply steady, direct pressure with a cloth for 15 minutes and elevate the wound. If blood soaks through, apply another cloth over the first.
3. Control Swelling
- Remove ankle bracelets or toe rings.
Do RICE therapy:
- Rest ankle by having the person stay off of it. Use crutches if necessary.
- Compress by wrapping ankle lightly (not tightly) with an "ace" bandage or elastic ankle brace.
- Elevateankle above heart level.
4. Manage Pain and Inflammation
- Give an over-the-counter pain medication such as ibuprofen or aspirin. Do NOT give aspirin to anyone under the age of 18.
5. See a Doctor
6. Follow Up
- The doctor will examine and X-ray the ankle, leg, and foot. The doctor also may do a CT or CAT scan, MRI, or stress test to determine if surgery is needed.
- If needed, the doctor will set the broken bone back in place and immobilize the ankle with a splint, cast, or other device.
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.