Allergic Reaction Treatment
Call 911 now if the person has had severe reactions in the past or has any of these symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the throat
- Other symptoms of a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)
1. Treat Symptoms
- For mild allergy symptoms, such as hay fever or hives, give an over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamine.
- For stuffy nose, give an OTC decongestant.
- For itchy, watery eyes, use OTC allergy eye drops.
- For itchy allergic rash, apply cold compresses and an OTC hydrocortisone cream.
2. Follow Up
- Watch for worsening symptoms, including signs of anaphylaxis.
See Severe Allergic Reaction Treatment.